Monday, April 23, 2012

Behind the Scenes

How do you judge quality of a creative effort without first hand experience? One clue is the pride shown by the creators. Check out the profiles of the ArenaNet offices by Eurogamer.
Daniel Dociu (Art Director who painted GW2 landscape at top of post)
"At my age, I don't feel like I have the luxury of wasting a development cycle, of putting five years of my life into something that's less than relevant or game changing," Daniel Dociu says. "Will it feel big enough, relevant enough, to where I can look back and say, 'Hell, this was definitely worth putting five of my last years into?' And I hope that's going to be the case, but you can't help but be nervous about it." "I feel I have accomplished a lot," he adds in reflection. "I can't help but feel good where my career went over the last eight years. I could have very well been buried and doing the same old thing at another place, or one of my previous places of employment, and plateaued, to be jaded by now, and treat every day as 'another day at the office'. But it's none of that.
Mike Zadorojny (QA lead)
"Working on a project like this," Mike Zadorojny tells me, "it doesn't come along very often. This is hands-down the biggest title that I've ever worked on, in terms of the potential of what it can actually do." When he thinks of all he's been able to do here he feels "special". "Blessed, I guess, is another word for it." "It's hard not to get caught up in the moment and get swept up in the emotions of the hype that's existing outside of this company. The fans are demanding. They're super excited, but they're demanding something that's fantastic, something that's great. And I just hope we can deliver up to their expectations. We think we've been able to make something great, and we just hope that the fans can agree that this is something that's truly super."
Colin Johanson (Lead Content Designer)
"I feel pretty spectacular," Colin Johanson beams. "This is my dream job. My parents, when I was a little kid, used to tell me all the time that you will never get a job in videogames. You need to stop doing this. You need to find a real job. And now they tell me, 'Well, we're glad you didn't listen to us.' "Yeah," he adds, "I couldn't be happier."
Jeff Grubb (Continuity and Lore director)
"I'm very excited about this project and I speak for others: we're ready to go, we want to be done," Jeff Grubb says. " We're not there yet, we've got a lot that still needs to be done, but every morning we come in just really gung-ho about it - and I see it in my co-workers, and I see it in my own work, that we're very proud of what we've done, and we're still very excited. And after six years, that's saying a great deal."
Mike O'Brien (Founder)
"Any of us, we want to look back at our lives and go 'wow, we really shook up the industry, we really made a game that changed the way people thought about gaming.' We've had an opportunity to do that. And so I wouldn't give it up for anything. And we continue to have that opportunity at ArenaNet. "You're going to be coming back here in five years and asking me that question [would you do it all again] again, and I'm going to still say I wouldn't give it up for the world. We have an amazing future ahead of us."
The obvious pride these people have is rather infectious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll